Liposuction / Liposculpture
Is liposuction for you?
- If you are fit, but can’t shift the fat from your belly or “love handles” no matter how hard you try, liposuction is for you
- If you are happy with your weight but not your shape, liposuction is for you
- If you are slim all over except for a wide bottom, liposuction is for you
- If you aren’t sure, come in for a consultation and we’ll tell you whether liposuction is for you
What’s it like having Liposuction?
After your consultation, on the day of your surgery, we will ask you to stand whilst markings are made on your skin to delineate the areas requiring treatment. It’s important to do this with you standing, because your tissues tend to shift when you are lying down. The result when standing is the one we want. We plan out the procedure to ensure the correct amounts of fat are removed from each site. Once the markings are completed, photographs are taken. We’ll then give you some medication to make you relaxed and comfortable.
Once lying in the procedure room or operating room, local anaesthetic will be administered to several small pre-selected sites through which the treatment will take place. Once anaesthetised, tiny incisions will be made at these sites, and through these incisions a fine blunt cannula will be introduced for the distribution of dilute anaesthetic fluid throughout the fat being treated.
The anaesthetic solution is introduced into the fat slowly and carefully, but thoroughly. 30 minutes or so is allowed to elapse to allow the anaesthetic to have its full effect. The anaesthetic fluid will make your skin look pale, as it has a little bit of adrenaline in it to cause constriction of blood vessels under the skin. And whilst the anaesthetic fluid is very dilute, a generous volume is infused such that the treated area will look quite swollen with fluid until the suctioning begins.
And then the suctioning begins. Systematically, methodically, one area at a time, according to the plan, a cannula around 3 or 4 mm wide is moved gently through the anaesthetised fat, drawing out the fat cells.
You will be called on to roll and re-position yourself to allow us best access to each location needing treatment. And once it is all done, you’ll shower and then dressings are applied and a compressive garment placed around the treated area to apply pressure.
What results can I expect from Liposuction?
Of course, at first, there will be some bruising and swelling. Some of the anaesthetic fluid used to keep you pain-free during the procedure will continue to drain for a day or two afterwards. You will wear a compressive garment over the treated area; a few days in the case of a neck treatment, or a couple of weeks after abdominal liposuction. This will help to reduce the swelling and help bring about the most even result.
The appearance will improve week on week, then after several months you’ll have a good idea of the result. And the result will be: substantial cosmetic improvement. (Of course, individual expectations have to be discussed in consultation prior to surgery.)
Liposuction can be used pretty much anywhere, from neck to ankle. The most common areas treated include anterior neck, upper arms, abdomen, “muffin top”, “love handles”, “saddlebags”, thighs, lower back
Let’s think also about situations in which liposuction is not appropriate
Who is NOT Suitable for Liposuction?
If you have tiny amounts of fat to lose, you may be better off having lipodissolve or mesotherapy treatments. These only involve injections, through tiny needles, of a solution that dissolves fat cells. Click over to our pages on lipodissolve. Lipodissolve is effective but slow, and so can be frustrating if there is more than a small amount of fat to be removed.
On the other hand, those who are overweight pretty much everywhere really need to lose weight through the usual approaches. Whilst liposuction can be performed anywhere from neck to ankles, we can’t do this all at once in one patient. (Then again, some patients are a bit big everywhere but are especially big in, or are especially troubled by, one particular spot. Liposuction is suitable in such a case).
Every patient is unique, in this respect as in any other. A consultation with Dr Mahony will help sort out the best approach for you.
What does it cost?
- Neck liposuction, which is typically the smallest site commonly treated, starts at $3000.
- A flatter abdomen is just $3500, plus your garment cost (around $150), and you pay no more for theatre fee or anaesthetist fee.
- Abdomen plus love handles pushes it up to $5000, (again, plus your garment cost).
- Upper arms a problem? $4000 is the whole treatment fee (plus garment). Add bra bump treatment for an extra $750
- Saddle bags your only issue? just $4000 is your fee, plus your garment.
- Upper inner thighs bothering you as well? Add just $750 to your abdomen or saddle bag treatment and we’ll do these as well.
- Breast reduction by liposuction is your thing? As for upper arms and as for saddle bags, $4000 is your fee, plus garment
Doing our liposuction “in house” means there are no hidden extras: no additional theatre fees or anaesthetist fees!
Of course we need to see you in consultation to assess your individual needs. Phone Peach Cosmetic Medicine in Paddington, Sydney for a consultation about liposuction!